ZED - Zero Emissions Distribution

MISSION

Implement a new logistics model at zero emissions (CO2), with a break-even energy balance and economic savings prospects for the distribution of FMCG (beverage), within large metropolitan areas and Limited Traffic Zones of Rome through the integrated use of renewable energy sources and innovative technologies, specifically HUBs and TPs that use solar energy (photovoltaic modules) for supply power of electrical vehicles, fast charging towers, stations for quick replacement.

Web site: www.logisticazed.it

PROJECT TEAM

Mancinelli Due (3PL), University of Rome La Sapienza (DIAEE, POMOS), CNR, Act Operations Research, 9REN, Sapienza Innovazione, BIP – Best Ideas & Projects, FIT Consulting, Exit Communications, Tecnocar, Liberty eCars Europe, Bucap, Blufactor

GENERAL CONTEXT

It has been estimated that the impact of transport of goods accounts for more than 8% of global CO2 emissions. In the area of road transport, the amount of energy used to transport goods is growing at a rate greater than that of cars and buses, and in the European Union could overtake it by 2020. Freight movement could represent 15-30% of total CO2  emissions in 2050, even accounting for the improvement of energy efficiency.

ROME CONTEXT

In the historic inner-city area of Rome 25.000 vehicles are operating daily; 60% of those vehicles (15.000) generate 35.000 loading/unloading activities, while the remaining 40% cross the inner-city area without stopping*. The 99.5% of the vehicles are not environmentally friendly.

MODEC-sponsorizzato

MAIN GOALS

1. To Certify ZED project as the best logistics solution for distribution in the LTZ (Limited Traffic Zone) within the environmental and eco-sustainable field (CO2=0);
2. To Develop repeatable/reproducible ZED projects;
3. To Reach a BEP (break-even point) < 5 years;
4. To Achieve operative costs savings, compared to the “traditional logistics model” of 15-20%.

The main objective of the project is to feed with renewable energy (produced at the site of storage of goods) electric vehicles used for deliveries in the LTZ, optimizing routes and loads, using advanced technologies to increase the autonomy (eg: piezoelectric). ZED fundamentally changing the process of the Physical Distribution of goods (Last Mile), both in terms of reducing the environmental impact that in terms of economic benefit for the 3PL and the urban communities, achieved through the energy balance and the optimization of the flow of the goods (electric mode).

PROJECT DESCRIPTION

  • Deliver more than 1.000 shipments per day in the LTZ zones of Rome by a warehouse located at 15 km from the city center;
  • The warehouse will be covered by 3.000 square meters of photovoltaic panels and it will supply energy (DC) to 15 electric vehicles and to some fast-charging towers;
  • The electric vehicles (initially) will have a payload of 2.0 t, an autonomy at least 120 km and the possibility to exceed slopes greater than 20%;
  • Electric vehicles will deliver in the LTZ even 2 times x day;
  • Project timing: june 2014-jun 2015.

FOCUS RESEARCH

  • Electric vehicles of 2,0/3,5 t payload with recovery  of energy through advanced braking systems and piezoelectric harvesting  (range extension);
  • HUBs powered by photovoltaic energy panels: recovery/energy savings with the elimination of losses due to the absorption of the inverters in double conversion between direct and alternating current (DC –AC) and vice versa for battery recharging;
  • Fast -charging electric vehicles charging station for electric vehicles of 2,0/3,5 t payload (goal 30-40 minutes);
  • Stations for quick replacement of batteries for electric vehicles of 2,0/3,5 t payload;
  • Dashboard  for the integrated “Smart HBs”;
  • Designing energy integral logistics platforms (Energy Performance of Buildings Directive).

BENEFITS TO THE ENVIROMENT

The implementation of the ZED project entails a reduction in CO2 emission the effect of which corresponds to a reforestation of about 205 hectares (to be confirmed).